I have said it in the past, but they keep proving it right time after time – Capcom was one of the most exciting developers of last generation, and they look to be the undisputed king of the industry in this new one. Let us just look at some of the games they have blessed us with:
– Okami is getting a second life on the Wii.
– Street Fighter 4 gives us the sequel so many wanted, and the SF2 HD Remix team has done an incredible job of keeping the community involved and informed, to make sure we get what we want.
– After initial uncertainty, they decided to bless us with the entirety of Phoenix Wright.
– Devil May Cry 4 on two platforms.
– A sequel to Bionic Commando.
Now we can add a remake of the original Bionic Commando to the list, complete with a trailer that shows they know exactly how to make it. I still can’t believe this is going to exist; years ago I thought of how a 2d BC game with 3d graphics would work, and this trailer is scarily close to my vision, and when I say close, I mean this looks better.
Capcom’s philosophy is incredibly simple, but not often common in the industry. They have a clear sense of respect for their fans and their series, and the communication they have with their customers is incredible. If they are going to keep making sequels to their biggest franchises, they might as well make it something that will get us excited all over again, rather than rely on fans purchasing them out of a feeling of obligation (ie Mega Man games). Capcom’s future output alone is enough to keep me occupied for a long time coming. I almost feel as if I should just ignore the rest of 2008 and focus on the games in my library, popping up to the surface again to taste whatever goodness Capcom throws my way.
I just can’t hide my happiness. Bionic Commando is back. Hands in the air folks.